Jesus and his disciples were at Caesarea Phillipi with his disciples when he posed them with a question, “Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” (Matthew 16:13 NIV) Upon hearing their answers, he continued to ask, “But who do you say I am?”
Caesarea Philippi was a pagan city that was inhabited by the Romans, Jews, and Greeks. This is a very important question considering the setting in which the questioning is taking place. Jesus first wanted to know if the disciples were aware of what others were saying of Him. It’s like Jesus asking you what your mother, father, or maybe even your grandmother says about Him. If he were to ask me that, I would say, Well Lord, my grandma says you’re a burden bearer. My mom says you’ll never leave me nor forsake me. My father says that You’ll take care of me.
And this is just what the disciples did. They responded with the answers of what they’d heard amongst the people in passing from city to city. Jesus then asks them, well who do you say I am? Immediately Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, Son of the living God (Matthew 16:16 NIV).” Verse 17 goes on to say that Jesus said, “Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.”
One thing is for sure, intellect is great but some things will only come by way of the Spirit; through God. I began to know about who God was through others, but as I continue on my journey I’m learning exactly who He is not only for those around me, but for myself. The fact that Jesus posed this question once they arrived to Caesarea Phillipi is amazing in that he asked them this question in an environment that was very paganistic.
There’s a lot of news that circulates in the world that we live in some news is considered good news and other news is bad news. In today’s time, we’ve even introduced the term fake news.
We too, like the disciples standing at Caesarea Phillipi are living in a world of mixed beliefs but it is our responsibility to answer Jesus for ourselves. Who do we say that He is? Well, like Peter, let me give you the good news!
- “He is the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Jesus.” John 14:6 NIV
- “He is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 NIV
- “Jesus is the light of the world. Whoever follows Him will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- “But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5
- And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 8:12
- “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” Revelations 22:13
From where I’m standing, there’s only good news JESUS. Who do you know Him to be?
Love – Your Biggest Fan